Thursday, December 13, 2012

#BIR2012 Top Book: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo is amazing high fantasy set in a Czarist era Russia setting.  It's an amazing story with a great setting and engaging characters.  And then to top it off, it has an AMAZING cover and art work inside.  This book is the compete package and we hope you'll check it out and that you enjoy our interview with Leigh.

Buy Shadow and Bone: BN.com / Amazon / Indiebound

Find Leigh online: Webpage / Tumblr / Twitter

1. WOW, this year has been crazy awesome for you, what's been the most surreal/coolest moment so far?
It really has been crazy. I keep expecting to wake up and find out it was all a dream. Or, y'know, one of Alice's visions. Making the NYT list was probably the most "my little brain cannot grasp this" moment, and meeting David Heyman in London to talk about the movie is up there, too. But there are lots of quieter things that happen—getting to meet one of my favorite writers or a reader showing up in costume at a signing. Every moment is the coolest moment.

2. How has your past work as a make-up artist and your love for costumes impacted the look of the characters and the feel of the world?
Well, I hope all those little visual and tactile details add up— Is the cloak velvet or wool? What does it mean to wear Corporalki Red? How does it feel to slip on a pair of fur-lined boots, or silk slippers, or army-issue boots? I hope they make the world feel more real for readers and that they help create a place that people want to return to. I think my experience in the industry and my ambivalence toward it shows up in Genya's character. She really embodies what beauty can and can't do for you.

3. The world of Shadow and Bone is full of symbolism, did it all come form Russian lore or did you pull from other histories and mythologies to create the world?
Much of the inspiration for Ravka came from Russian folklore and culture, but you'll also find references to Romanian and Scandinavian mythology, and the Greek ideas of haecceity and quiddity show up in the principles of the Small Science.

4. Can you give us a 3 world preview of book 2, Siege and Storm?
Darkness never dies.

5. If you could get a tattoo to represent the series, what would you get?
"Live Fabrikator or Die." No, I kid. A tattoo of Morozova's collar could be gorgeous, but I think it's too much of a commitment for me, so maybe something else using the antlers. I also love all of the crests that Adam Watkins designed.

GIVEAWAY TIME
Click on "terms and conditions" to see all the rules


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chance to win a new book! I haven't read many of these books, though I do have a couple sitting on my nightstand right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that maybe the tattoo would be a bit much, but if I were Leigh I'd be painting it onto my neck every time I did an event!!! I actually have a similar thing in my own books- a horse marking- that I plan on finding in temp tattoos as the horse isn't really a GOOD thing, so I wouldn't want to have it permanently, but I still would want to show it to readers and hope they copied me. : )

    Desperate to win- I only have an ARC which has, I kid you not, dragons on the front. Not Russian at all, and this is one of my all-time favorite covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying these author interviews! Shadow and Bone sounds awesome! Read an excerpt and now I really want to read it! Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was so made of awesome. Probably my favorite read of 2012.

    ReplyDelete