Tuesday, December 11, 2012

#BIR2012 Top Book: Insurgent by Veronica Roth



Insurgent by Veronica Roth does not fall into the second book trap, it's an amazing continuation of the story started in Divergent (a BIR Top book for 2011).  We are SUPER excited to have Veronica join us today for a Q&A since she's still writing book number 3.

Buy Insurgent: BN.com / Amazon / IndieBound
Insurgent Deluxe Edition: BN.com / Amazon / IndieBound
Free Four A Divergent ebook Short Story: BN.com / Amazon / Indiebound
Divergent/Insurgent Hard Cover Box Set: BN.com / Amazon / Indiebound

Find Veronica Online: Blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Facebook / Divergent Facebook

1. I think it's fair to say Divergent & Insurgent became WAY bigger than you ever expected they would when I first met you at the Anderson's Lit Fest in 2010. What's been some of your favorite experiences over the last two years?
The last two years have been pretty amazing. Some of my favorite experiences have been seeing people dress up for events--they'll appear in my signing line in full faction costume, and it's great to see people getting so enthusiastic about the books, especially when they find other people who are just as enthusiastic as they are! Also among my favorite experiences: I've gotten the opportunity to meet a lot of incredible authors and to do some fangirling of my own. (Dignified fangirling, of course. Okay, not really.)

2. What's been your favorite part of the first two books to write so far? What are you excited for us to read in book 3?
My favorite part of the first two books...hmm. That's a really difficult question! I generally love writing the most intense scenes best-- so in the first book, the scene at the end where Tris is in the real (not simulated) water tank, and in the second book, the scene with Marlene on the rooftop. I'm most excited for people to read the end of book 3. That's all I can really say about that.

3. You're on Tumblr a lot, what's been your favorite bit of fan "art" you've come across? Do you save or bookmark any?
I have a policy of leaving the Divergent tag alone on Tumblr, not because I don't like to see the art people make or their comments/reactions, but because I like to leave people safe spaces to express themselves without a kind of paranoia that I'll be watching them, if that makes sense. It's just how I like to do things. That said, I have seen some really great minimalist posters for Divergent-- I think I reblogged them recently. There have also been some really amazing drawings and mock book covers and things of that nature that I've also loved.

4. The clothing for each faction is so specific, how did you decide what each would wear? Did you play dress up to make sure it all worked as a look?
I didn't play dress-up, no. I think I just went with my instincts about what people devoted to a particular virtue would wear. The Abnegation were the easiest. Gray is the color that I associate with calm and productivity and not drawing attention to yourself, and I knew they had no concerns about being attractive, so I went with the loose-fitting, utilitarian gray look for them. The other factions were similar-- the style and the colors come from the virtue, like everything else.

5. Insurgent left us going AHHHHH NEED BOOK 3 NOW! How do you choose where to end each book?
Sorry about that! I tried so hard not to write a cliffhanger, but I couldn't think of a way to end it without one. It's hard to choose endings for books in a series-- with book one, I thought about closing some of the plot arcs while leaving others open, and found a natural place in the story to end it with those things in mind. With the second book, I felt like if I didn't stop where I stopped, I would have ended up tacking on book 3 to the end of book 2, and I didn't have time for those shenanigans. And with the third...well, you'll see.

GIVEAWAY TIME!

Please click on "terms and conditions" on the widget for complete rules

No comments:

Post a Comment